Saturday 28 April 2007

Britain's National Cycle Network



Morning! Something from Matt...


I cycled from York to Sheffield on Wednesday and back again on Friday to see our mate Tom. It was really gorgeous weather every day except for the wind, which was blowing against me at 17mph each day... just my luck.

... Oh and I also underestimated how far it was going to be, so after a pretty late night and very little sleep (Tom wouldn't let me get away with not going out in Sheffield) I cycled about 70 miles back to York yesterday.



But the main point is about the NCN... It's just amazing! There's a really inspiring 15 mile stretch of off-road cycle track that is beautifully smooth to cycle on , and it's populated by various public artworks, such as this, the 'Fisher of Dreams'. Very cool way to start and end my wee holiday!
There's a good network of cycle routes in Sheffield, too, apart from the fact that some of it is covered in broken beer bottles.
Basically I was really inspired by the way this part of the country seems to be commited to an intricate network of paths that are actually an efficient way to get from A to B -most of the cycle routes I've encountered are either confined to towns and cities or are very round-about, and slow.
I reckon the North of the UK is setting a great example and the rest of it, especially Gloucestershire, needs to get its act together and connect major areas with nice, well-surfaced, fairly straight cycle paths. There is the potential for us pioneering Brits to create something truly amazing!
Oh, and meanwhile, remember to sponsor us for WaterAid!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hehe, I live in York, that thing with the man fishing is near to there right, I am sure I remember it from my childhood! I used to love cycle trips with my family! That photograph has brought back some lovely memories, so thank you :) Good luck with everything! x